Pages

Sunday, December 24, 2017

Acheh, The Land of Survival 2017

On 26th December 2004, the whole world was awaken by such devastating news that a huge earthquake shocked the land of Acheh. The 9.3 magnitude Indian Ocean earthquake later caused one of the biggest tsunami tragedy which is known as the 6th deadliest natural disasters in history.

The whole world's attention was focused on this heart-wrenching tragedy. News would cover this tragedy for weeks. An estimate of 280,000 humans lost their lives on that day. Thousands more were never found, believed to be lost forever.

I watched the news with a heavy heart and was broken-hearted everytime the newscaster reported that more dead bodies were found.

Ever since the tragedy, I've vowed to visit this resilient state one day. I vowed to visit their people and witness their strength in facing such a huge test from Allah s.w.t.

One of the reasons the Acheh tsunami impacted me so much was because in 2001 (3 years prior to the tsunami), our family lost all our material stuff in a fire that burned our whole house. We were left with nothing except with the clothes on our back. But Allah's mercy know no boundaries. In one of the hardest times of our lives, our family witnessed kindness from relatives, friends, neighbours and strangers. Allah gave us strength to re-built our lives. And because of that, I could resonate with the feelings of the Achenese people.

And true to my expectations, Acheh didn't disappoint me at all. Learning about Acheh and its' people amazes me. Their strength in accepting this huge tragedy as part of Allah's test in this world humbles me. Their dedication on re-building their lives, pushes me to do my best in life too and most of all is their faith to Allah. One would think that after such a devastating tragedy, some humans turn away their beliefs from their Creator but Subhanallah the Achenese never did. Instead they became more steadfast and religious in their faith to Allah.

To the Achenese people, you are an inspiration to other Muslims in this world! I will be back, Insha Allah.

No comments :

Post a Comment

 
Header Background Designed by Freepik