Pages

Sunday, December 10, 2017

Life Without Distractions

We spent way, way too much on our gadgets these days. We almost forgot how the world used to function without internet or smartphones.

Our lives are constantly distracted by notifications from Facebook, instagram, messenger and other social medias. Sometimes it feels weird not having any sounds coming to remind or notify us about a friend's comment or status updates, so hence we stay glued to our gadgets.

I have years ago learned to dis-attach myself from these distractions. Many friends were bewildered when I slowly stopped checking my Facebook every few minutes of the day or not in the know of other friends' status. I then also stopped updating my own FB status because I felt that was not the 'real' validation that I craved for.

I learned that by dis-attaching myself from the fake world of Facebook and other social medias, I valued myself more. I am more confident with myself and I had more time to do things that really mattered like offering my time for charity work and enjoying quality time with people that I truly care.

The habit became more apparent nowdays (actually since a year ago) because I am always far away from my smartphone when I'm in the office. I rarely check my whatsapp when I'm working (to the irks of others) but I realized it has become a norm that friends/family/colleagues have come to accept.

By being away from my smartphone, it gives me plenty of time to focus and concentrate on my work and tasks that needs my immediate attention. I will from time to time check out for any urgent messages, but if nothing is that urgent, I am more than happy to leave it lying somehere far from me.

So when my team mates and I went for our unit retreat recently, we were placed in a remote place with no internet lines or even phone reception.

I was happy to just be surrounded by lush greeneries, with fun colleagues, great food and a good book. We had plenty of great conversations, games, team-building exercises and exchanges of gifts and affirmations.

Had I not had the years of practice of being far away from my smartphone, I would have been edgy, restless and would not enjoy one second of the retreat because I will be too anxious of not getting notifications on FB or Instagram. I will become nervous if I didn't see a friend's insta story.

Those days are gone. I am perfectly whole and happy with a life without distraction 😊

No comments :

Post a Comment

 
Header Background Designed by Freepik